Farmers in Jamkhar Gewog share mixed reactions on their first ever chilli cultivation

To meet the chilli shortage for the off-season, farmers of Jamkhar gewog in Trashi Yangtse ventured into growing four varieties of chillies on a pilot basis in November last year. This was their first-ever attempt cultivating chillies on a large scale. But to their surprise, the chilli production wasn’t as expected this time.  

The farmers were provided with mulching plastics, fencing, drip irrigation water system and fencing for chilli production. Still, their production wasn’t good. But this has not deterred their hopes and motivation.

“Our chilli production was not that good but we don’t feel sad. After harvesting my onion, I am going to grow chilli again and I am not going to give up and will try again this year. I will start cultivating little later than what I did last year,” said Sonam Phuntsho, a farmer in Jamkhar.

Along with chillies, the farmers had grown onions from which they are expecting good returns.

“The chili production was good at the beginning but in the middle, the plants started drying. But we are expecting income from onion, we have uprooted the damaged chilli plants and planted again,” added Chimi Wangmo, another farmer.

The pilot project worth Nu 400,000 was funded by the Commercial Agriculture and Resilient Livelihood Enhancement Program (CARLEP) in collaboration with the Dzongkhag Agriculture office.

The farmers have started growing local chillies and expect a better yield this time.

Sonam Darjay, Kanglung 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube