BOC’s decision to limit players for archery and khuru not received well by archery enthusiasts

Given the improving COVID-19 situation in the country, the Bhutan Olympic Committee (BOC) recently allowed all sporting tournaments to resume beginning this month. However, the committee later informed that unlike other sports, Archery and Khuru tournaments will only be allowed with a maximum of 10 participants only. The decision has left many archery enthusiasts in the country frustrated and worried.

The Bhutan Olympic Committee informed that all sporting tournaments will be allowed to restart beginning this month through their official Facebook page recently. However, days later, the committee again issued a clarification concerning the resumption of tournaments and informed that the total number of players allowed for archery shall remain the same as per the press release issued by the Prime Minister’s Office on January 29. According to the press release, for traditional games of Archery and Khuru, only 10 participants are allowed at a time.

This has left many archery enthusiasts in the country frustrated and confused.

“Due to the pandemic, the number of archery players were limited to only 10 players earlier. However, we were very happy with the BOC’s recent notification to allow all sporting events as usual. But on Tuesday, we were informed that only 10 players will be allowed for archery. And I being a Gup, I received numerous calls from concerned people asking for clarifications about the matter,” said Ugyen, the Chang Gup in Thimphu.

“I don’t know the reason behind why the football tournament is allowed and archery tournaments are not. Football is a contact sport whereby all players make contact with each other now and then. But for archery, what I feel is that it is an individual game as there is no need for players coming in contact with each other at all,” said Sithar Tshering, an archery enthusiast.

“I think it will be better to keep one rule for all sports as all sports are the same in general. Moreover, we should be focusing on promoting our indigenous and traditional games. Likewise, many people are making their lives out of the archery range business. They have been severely impacted by the decision as there are not many people coming to their archery range now,” added Tshering Dorji, also an archery enthusiast.

Feeling left out and confused, they requested the BOC to reconsider the decision and allow archery events to be held like any other sports with proper COVID-19 protocols and guidelines in place.

“When we ask for clarification from BOC, they tell us that this is as per the Prime Minister’s Office and we do not get a good explanation. If only 10 players are allowed for traditional games, the same rule should be applied to every other sport. Like football, archery is played within 22 players and we would be grateful if the number limit is changed,” the Chang Gup said.

“As a solution, I think the Bhutan Indigenous Games and Sports Association should come forward and look into the matter. There are many Do’s and Don’ts while conducting traditional games in the current COVID-19 situation. They should formulate strong SOP’s for the resumption of archery like any other sports,” said Sithar Tshering.

“All sports are the same and if only 10 players are allowed for traditional games, the rule should be the same for football as well. For now going by the BOC’s decision, it is as if, the virus will only be transmitted through traditional games. Like any other sports, we are strictly following the guidelines and protocols associated with COVID-19. We feel there is no equality in the decision,” added Tshering Dorji.

Meanwhile, the prime minister in his statement to a local newspaper today said that the government restricted the archery players to 10 because archers visit different places to play the games. Moreover, he said archery involves spectators, refreshment servers and dancers as well. And unlike other sports, archery matches takes a whole day and there are lots of unaccounted risks associated with it.

Likewise, the BOC said there are no plans to make changes to the decision. The committee said that they will strictly follow the press release issued by the Prime Minister’s Office.

Passang Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube