Dust particles from road widening work affects residents, Zhemgang

Although residents of Zhemgang town are happy with the road widening project, they are frustrated with the dust particles from the widening area. Residents said the dust pollution is due to inconsistency in sprinkling water. While they also said the Dzongkhag is not monitoring.

Vehicles parked along the highway can be seen dusty and scribbled. Shops are covered with dust particles. Windows of the shops are seen closed.

“I don’t know whether the water sprinkling is done or not. Dzongkhag is not monitoring and we can see the dust and even shops are covered by dust particles. Moreover, there is a high risk of getting flu,” said Thinley Wangchuk, a businessman.

“Actually, as per the contract terms and condition, sprinkling is mandatory. So, I feel authorities are not monitoring. It is too much dusty around, and be in the hotel or shops, dust particles can be seen everywhere. Cars are covered by the dust within no time. I don’t know where it is wrong,” said another businessman, Yeshi Jamtsho.

Residents said over the last few months, children could not go outside to play. Nor they could dry the clothes. Some also said although it’s a developmental activity, there is a public health issue.

Zhemgang Dzongkhag administration said they have an agreement with the contractor to sprinkle water twice a day. The Dzongkhag has asked them to follow the safety regulation as far as possible.

“During the execution of major developmental works within the core town, there are chances of consequences but Dzongkhag is equally concerned. But we should always go for future prospects, not for short term benefit and we request the general public to consider it for some time. And also for graffiti, we would urge their parents to guide your children not to scribble on the cars,” said Kinzang Dorjee, Dzongrab of Zhemgang Dzongkhag.

However, the contractor denied commenting on the issue.

Meantime, the driver of the water sprinkling truck said they try to sprinkle three times in a day but sometimes they cannot make it because of some other important works at the site.

“Sometimes, I have to provide water to wall construction sites and then we could sprinkle water in the town. Otherwise, I do three times daily,” said Tenzin, the driver.

However, the residents will have a smooth and widened road by mid of this year.

Pema Samdrup, Zhemgang

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube