Bhutanese family living abroad shares the experience of receiving the first dose of Pfizer vaccine

As COVID-19 mass vaccination program has started ramping up globally, Bhutan is yet to receive the vaccine. But a Bhutanese family living in Utah, a state in the western United States, received their first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on 26th December. The family of three are all health care workers working in different hospitals. And as health workers, they were eligible for the first dose of the vaccine rollout.  

Karma Wangmo and her two children, a daughter and a son, received the vaccine last month. Karma is a Phlebotomist, who draws blood and collects samples. They are probably the first Bhutanese to get the vaccine.

Karma shared, “The moment we were vaccinated, we were kept under observation for about 15 minutes. And then we are sent a text message asking us about how we feel. As for me, I didn’t get any side effects. But I did feel little feverish and nauseous. No Bhutanese living here received the vaccine except for us, it’s only me and my two children.”

More than 130,000 doses of the vaccines have been given to the front-line health care workers starting last month in Utah. And among them were three Bhutanese health care workers who received their first dose.

And anyone who gets vaccinated receives a COVID-19 vaccination record card. The card details the vaccine they got and the place it was administered. The family is now waiting for their second dose. The Pfizer vaccine is given in two doses, three weeks apart. It offers up to 95 per cent protection against COVID-19.

“I will be vaccinated with the second dose. I would like to share that it’s not like we are now better after getting vaccinated, we still have to abide and adhere to the health safety protocols,” added Karma.

Meanwhile, the Prime Minister said His Majesty The King has commanded to vaccinate every Bhutanese including those living abroad.

“His Majesty said that money should not be a problem for those living abroad and ones in the country to miss the COVID vaccination. Led by the Foreign Ministry and the Bhutanese embassies, Bhutanese living abroad can get the vaccine. They can contact the embassies and should go for the vaccine. If you have to pay for the vaccine, then the embassies will facilitate. It’s His Majesty’s gift to every Bhutanese. And if the host countries are providing the vaccines for free, then please go for it without any fear and hesitancy, ” said the Prime Minister.

As per the Foreign Ministry’s records, 12,179 Bhutanese are living in 72 countries as of December 2020.

According to health experts, the majority of people are still vulnerable to Coronavirus. It is only the current restrictions that are preventing more people from getting infected.

Having a vaccine is the only way out for now. Vaccines teach bodies to fight the infection by stopping from catching the Coronavirus.

The ongoing pandemic has killed more than two million people and infected over 90 million since last year.

Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube