Druk Gyalpo’s Relief Kidu helped a school girl to shoulder a parents role

Thousands have lost their jobs, income and livelihoods due to the coronavirus pandemic. However, the Druk Gyalpo’s Relief Kidu helped them get through the difficult times. And the Kidu is still continuing. 

Kinzang Dema, a student in one of the schools in Thimphu is one among many recipients. She had to take care of her younger siblings and, a disabled aunt and her child during the lockdown.

Kinzang’s father, the sole breadwinner of the family was stuck in Paro due to the lockdown. She had to shoulder a responsibility heavier than which she ever experienced. With both her parents away from home, she had to endure through the lockdown managing everything at home.

“My father went to Paro for some work before the lockdown and my mother is admitted in Gelegphu hospital due to kidney disorder. As my parents are away, it was hard for me to manage everything at home. I am also dependent right now and I cannot do things even if I want to. Still, then I am trying my best to solve the problems as much as possible,” said Kinzang Dema.

As the country went under lockdown for the second time last month, things started to fall apart in Kinzang’s house.

“Rations and essentials were running out in the house and I could barely manage three meals a day. I could not ask for help from my neighbours because of the lockdown. I had to face lots of problems,” she added.

Kinzang said, “I started receiving calls from Gelegphu saying that my mother’s health condition is deteriorating. I could not go there to visit her due to the lockdown.”

Amid all the problems, Kinzang was eventually told to contact officials from the Druk Gyalpo’s Relief Kidu.

“My teachers suggested me to seek help from His Majesty’s Kidu program since I was facing lots of problems. I was in need of help so, I decided to call the Druk Gyalpo’s Relief Kidu toll-free number,” said Kinzang.

Last Friday, she finally received the Kidu. And she said the cash that she received will be spent on paying house rent and half of the amount will be sent to her mother. She also received ration support.

She added, “I will never forget the help and support rendered by His Majesty The King to his people. Especially for those of us who received the Kidu. So, on behalf of all Kidu recipients, with all my heart, I want to thank His Majesty The King .”

Like Kinzang Dema, the Druk Gyalpo’s Relief Kidu has touched thousands of people from all walks of life. Badum, a single mother of six children, from Chukhha told BBS that the Kidu came as a huge relief.

She said, “I had to face a lot of difficulties since I have many children. I have to look after all six of them because right now all of them are studying. Their father passed away. I use to run a small shop before the outbreak of the disease. But I had to leave my business since it was not doing well and I couldn’t pay the rents on time. Eventually, I came back to my village. And I have heard about the Kidu program and applied for it. I want to wholeheartedly thank His Majesty The King for the Kidu”.

Today, over 18,000 people received the Druk Gyalpo’s Relief Kidu since October in the third phase. Over 51,000 people applied for the Kidu so far, with the majority of the applicants from tourism and hotel sectors.

Tshering Dendup

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube