Wamrong fire victims unable to rebuild their homes

Victims of Wamrong fire still haven’t been to rebuild their houses. Almost three years after the incident and they are still living in temporary sheds which the government helped them built. They say suspension of housing loan, the ongoing rupee shortage and the monsoon is hampering their reconstruction efforts.

Twelve houses were burnt down during the fire incident in 2009.

Three of them started constructing houses in the plots provided to them as Kidu but their houses are incomplete. “We have already used the little money we had for the construction. Our house is going to remain incomplete with the suspension of the housing loan,” said one of the victims, Lhamo Yuden Tshering. She said they are unable to get laborers because of the non availability of rupees.

Another fire victim, Dechen Paydon, said it has been three months since the construction of her house came to a halt.  “I was able to start constructing my house with the little money I had saved. With my saving over, there is nothing much I can do,” she said.

Seven of the victims are yet to begin construction. They say they are worried. How fast they will be able to build their houses will depend on how soon they can avail housing loan, they say.

Top Stories

Related Stories

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube