Fortune out of betel nut in Paro

Taking advantage of the lockdown and the demand, doma dealers in Paro are making fortune like never before out of betel nut. Doma is a must-have commodity for the residents there and dealers are paying equal attention to their needs.

Of the four identified dealers in Paro, Roshna Thakuri has been a happy face since the district went into lockdown some three weeks ago. In just two weeks, he was able to sell over a bolero pick-up truckload of betel nut. It is his one-month income during the normal days.

”Few of us are allowed to get our supply from Samtse and Phuentshogling. We can clear stocks in time,” said Roshan.

As much as the suppliers, locals who are dependent on doma are also among the happy faces. One of them is Ugyen from Kempa_Shari. He said the nut is not available as in normal days, but they get what they want.

Although people are aware that chewing betel nut is harmful to health, they said it has become a part of their life. Among those who consume it like a routine is Migma Tshering from Baangdey.

”When I heard about the lockdown, I bought more than 300 pieces of betel nut as I need to eat now and then. Now it is almost finished,” he said.

Chewing doma is identified as the fourth most popular psychoactive substance in the world after nicotine, alcohol, and caffeine. It contains carcinogen which causes cancer. However, locals, who are heavily dependent on it are content as they did not face any shortage during the lockdown. It is also an important part of Bhutanese culture and tradition.

Meanwhile, for all the needs of people there, dealers like Roshan are readily available for delivery. They supply to the shops identified by the Dzongkhag COVID-19 Taskforce.

Namgay Wangchuk

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube