International Day of Persons with Disabilities

Picture Courtesy: MOH’s Facebook Page

While the COVID-19 pandemic has affected everyone, people with disabilities are affected more due to a combination of higher health-related risks, loss of income and disruption of formal and informal support system. In light of this, the United Nations themed the International Day of Persons with Disabilities “Building back better: towards an inclusive, accessible and sustainable post-COVID-19 world by, for and with persons with disabilities”. 

Observing the day at Paro today, Prime Minister Dr Lotay Tshering committed to taking care of the people with disabilities and also urged them to be careful amid the pandemic.

“People with disabilities are more vulnerable. You all are at higher risk of getting the infection. And if you, unfortunately, get infected, you will be more vulnerable to have more complications. So on this note, I would like to urge you all to take extra care, be conscious about that and stay safe,” said Lyonchhen.

“An inclusive post COVID recovery for and by persons with disabilities should focus on accessible infrastructure, digital inclusion and inclusive access to education, health and sanitation among others. Addressing the current challenges and barriers faced by persons with disabilities requires commitment, creativity and hard work,” said Gerald Daly, the UN Resident Coordinator in the country.

Observing such a day has not only enhanced understanding disability issues and mobilizing support for the dignity, rights and wellbeing of a person with a disability but also provided a platform for them to chase their dreams. Jigme Choden, studying in class XI at the Wangsel Institute for the Deaf in Paro, loved dancing since her childhood days. It is only after she joined the institute a decade ago that she is able to dance. She follows her instructor’s cue and moves accordingly.

“I love dancing very much. I can express my feelings through facial expression, and dance steps. I started dancing only when I joined the Wangsel Institute for the deaf. Earlier back in the village, I didn’t dance at all. Today I am delighted that I got to perform in front of distinguished guests,” she said.

“Coinciding with the International Day for Persons with Disabilities today, Honourable Prime Minister told us that he will take care of us equally, I am very happy about it,” said Sonam Zam, a student of Wangsel Institute for the Deaf.

“Earlier people are not aware of such activities and people ignored the disabled ones. Now with such programs coming up people tend to understand and include persons with disabilities in the community,” said Sonam Dorji, an Instructor with the institute.

National Assistive Product for Bhutan was also launched during the event.

Namgay Wangchuk

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube