A book on the lore and tales of Ap Chungdue hits the market

Call it a hoax or miracle, Bhutan has many tales about spirits and deities. The Ap Chungdue in Haa is an example of one such spirit. But aside from the district’s locals, little do people in other districts know about this powerful and most worshipped deity. However, books as the best weapon, the tales and lore of Ap Chungdue has hit the market.

Sonam Tenzin, originally hailing from the eastern part of Bhutan, Pema Gatshel has been in Haa for over 15 years. In his new book, “The legend of Pholha Masang Chungdue,” he shares the culture of Haa which is now a part of his life.

“As a student of history, and as a civil servant, I travelled to almost all parts of the district. And each year, thousands of student used to line up the streets welcoming Ap Chungdue, celebrating Ap Chungdue. I wanted to understand how this deity impacts the social, cultural and lives of the people of Haa. And as a student of history, I was really intrigued to find out what this deity is really contributing,” he said.

Sonam says that a country is not necessarily made great and strong by its size alone. Culture and traditions, history and heritage, belief systems and moral fibres all play a role in elevating a country to its true greatness.

“We are a sovereign nation. We are sovereign not because of our economic power, not because of military power. We are a great country. Why we are a great country? We are a great country because of our deep-rooted culture and traditions and if I don’t write, if we don’t write, the layer of our culture will be lost forever; If one layer is lost forever, another layer will be lost forever. Then, we are losing our sovereignty. That’s why I decided to write on this deity and on the history of Haa,” he added.

He added that his book on the untold lore from Haa is also an insight to help domestic tourism flourish in the country. He says any district in Bhutan is a tourist destination. Locals have even more reasons to visit Haa with the place with lots of story about the deity and religious sites.

The book launch was assisted by Bhutan echoes festival in a small ceremony with people adhering to COVID-19 protocols.

Samten Dolkar

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube