English | Dzongkha Thursday, October 19, 2017

Only six women out of 142 candidates

Sep 28, 2010

If the number of women turning up for the Functional Literacy rate is any indication, Bhutan’s local government is set to remain a male domain. For instance in Phuentsholing as our correspondent Dechen Wangmo finds out, of the 142 registered local leader aspirants from six Geogs under Chhukha Dzongkhag, only 8 were women.

Of the eight registered women, only six turned up for the Functional Literacy test today. All of them are eyeing the post of Mangmi.

They may be small in number but they are determined to make their way into the male dominated sphere.

“I think women are capable of what men are. And the fact that I and other women are here today stands testimony to it,” said Passang Lhamo from Geling Geog, Chhukha.

Likewise Tshering Lhamo of Metakha Geog said: “In our country, men and women enjoy equal rights. And I decided to take part in this test to show that women are as competent and capable as men are.”

It was a proud moment for some of them. “There are only a few women here today. And I am proud to be one among the few,” said Peday, Geling Geog.

They think having women, as leaders at the local level, can make a huge difference in the society.

I think women are more approachable and would make a better leader. Especially women in the villages can share their problems with us. They can never do that with men,” said Yoga Maya.

But these young women have a long way to go. The Functional Literacy test is just a beginning. Whether they can move ahead will depend on how well they have performed in today’s test.

Leave a Reply

4 × = twenty eight

Copyright © 2017 BBSC.