Multimedia learning initiatives receive mixed reactions

In what may become the largest online teaching trial the country has witnessed, the education ministry and schools across the country are using multimedia approaches to ensure learning continues amid nationwide school closure. Online learning, televised teaching and home schooling are becoming the new normal for thousands of students, teachers, and parents in the country today.

Sonam Yangzom, a mother of a class five student in Thimphu, was surprised to find that her son could use Google classroom and send his assignment to his teacher. “At his age, we didn’t know anything about this technology,” she said. “This makes it possible for schools to continue their teaching, otherwise I cannot imagine the workload on teachers and students.”

Similarly, children in other dzongkhags are also learning through the tele-education programs on BBS and other social media platforms.

Samten Zangmo, a student of Pema Gatshel Middle Secondary School, said, “Through classes on BBS, we get knowledge on general subject although it is different compared to our regular classes. It will be easier for us to understand our respective subjects when we go back to school.”

However, not everyone has embraced the multimedia learning options. Access to television, mobile devices, and TV and mobile network is a challenge in making the e-learning initiative inclusive.

Tashi Lhawang from Shumar Gewog in Pema Gatshel said that while educated parents can guide their children in urban areas, it is difficult for parents in rural places. “The moment we heard that lessons are being broadcast through BBS, we have been following, and for those who are unable to, we are helping one another and guiding our children,” she said.

In Lhuentse, out of over 3,500 students, almost 900 of them did not have access to television, smart phones or the Internet, accrording to Lhuentse district education office.

The Chief District Education Officer of Lhuentse Dzongkhag, Ugyen Pem, said that the the Dzongkhag is planning alternative methods to reach the unreached. “As directed by the education ministry, we will be providing printed version of the lessons to those who do not have access to television and the Internet,” she said. “We are also exploring using the community radio to reach the unreached.”

There are also reports that students and parents are being burdened with too many assignments and projects. In a recent circular, the education ministry directed schools and teachers to follow the guideline on curriculum implementation plan for education in emergency and not to teach the regular prescribed curriculum.

Parents have also expressed confusion over the video learning on BBS and the online learning provided by the schools.

Sonam Yangzom, mother of two boys in Thimphu, said,” There are two things that we have to follow; there’s BBS and then there’s school. So if I do both, it’s stressful for my sons. So I just follow the school, since they have one subject a day for my elder son and two subjects for my younger one.”

There are also complaints against high data consumption and low Internet speed. To address this, the ministry of information and communications in collaboration with the education ministry and telecom service providers have designed a special Internet tariff for students. The proposal has been submitted to the government.

Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube