Automobile Sector Association appeals PM to amend Tenancy Act and to relocate the existing workshops to a new location

Automobile Sector Association appealed the Prime Minister to amend the Tenancy Act of Bhutan during the upcoming parliament session and to provide them lands on a long-term lease to relocate the workshops from the current location. The members of the association said the landlords are charging exorbitant lease charges for the lands and buildings at the workshop area which they say is not in line with the provisions of the Tenancy Act of Bhutan.

According to the workshop owners, the landlords have increased the lease charge by more than 200 per cent within 10 years. The workshop owners said this is unlawful and requested for government’s intervention.

“On top of the exorbitant rent, building owners keep notifying us to vacate the areas because they want to set up their own business,” said Ugyen Dorji, who runs an automobile workshop at Olarongchhu.

However, Prime Minister Dr Lotay Tshering said, it would be impossible to amend the Tenancy Act in the upcoming parliament.

“It is too late to amend the Tenancy Act in the upcoming parliament because we have already finalized agenda. And I am not sure whether it can be taken in the next session or not. I am sure your problem cannot be solved even if we amend the Tenancy Act. The building owners might not have notified to vacate the rented apartment before your lease term. It should go as per your agreement,” said the Prime Minister.

The association had also appealed the Works and Human Settlement Minister in July this year to allocate them government land on a long-term lease. The Works and Human Settlement Minister then said that the government is looking for options to relocate the workshop to Namsaeling or Pamtsho. Meanwhile, the association prompted the government to relocate the workshops to Babesa, the area near the sewerage treatment plant. But the Prime Minister said it would not be a feasible location.

“We have a platform to discuss relocating the workshops. We all have to sit together and have to discuss the terms and conditions if it is to be moved on the State land. So I cannot decide alone. But I am aware that the current location is not suitable,” said the Prime Minister.

Besides lease rent issues, the present location has also been facing problems such as clogging and overflowing of sewerage, untreated spilled lubricants and chemicals flowing into the Olarongchhu without a proper treatment plant.

Initially, there were 31 automobile workshops when it was relocated from Changzamtok in 2008. But today, there are around 120 workshops at Olarongchhu.

Pema Tshewang

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube