“Coding with Scratch” to spark children’s interest in computer coding

With the motive to spark interest and curiosity in technology among children from an early age, the Royal Institute of Management (RIM) is conducting a week-long computer coding programme, Coding with Scratch in the capital. 

Scratch is a computer programming language developed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology targeted primarily at children.

The language makes it easy and fun for children to create interactive stories, games and animations. The project which is first of its kind is expected to help the children build a strong foundation in computer science and develop their ability to code various computer programs.

Around 15 children between the age group of 10 to 15 years from Thimphu are attending the program conducted by the Department of Information Technology and Telecom.

“I have been very excited since I heard about the programme from my father. I am hopeful I will gain new knowledge and become a great developer in future,” said Trishar Adit Pradhan who is participating in the coding programme.

“The coding program is helping me develop my skills in making stories, animations and games. I hope I can learn more about coding and computer science,” added Lekdup Thinley Wangdi.

They take a four-hour lesson every day to create their own interactive stories, games and animations using Scratch. The exercise is expected to introduce them to critical 21st-century skills such as problem-solving, creative thinking and logical thinking.

“We want to introduce children to the newest technologies. The basic idea behind this is to create an IT-enabled society,” said Ugyen Tshering, a Lecturer with the RIM.

Owing to an overwhelming interest in the program from the participants, RIM is now looking into making it a regular program for children.

Passang Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube