Need for city bus service between Bajo town and hospital

The recently held Dzongkhag Tshogdu(DT) in Wangdue Phodrang decided to request Bhutan Post to look at the feasibility to introduce a city bus service between Bajo town and the newly shifted dzongkhag hospital at Jatshokha.

The new hospital is about five kilometres from Bajo town. Given the distance, local leaders say there is a need for a city bus service.

“I heard our people are paying Nu 50 per each while going to the hospital in a taxi. Sometimes they have to reserve a taxi when there are no other passengers. I think this problem can be solved if there is a local bus service or if taxi fare could be made uniform,” Ugyen, the Phangyuel Gup, said.

“I do not see the possibility to fix the taxi fare as it might have to depend on the fuel price. Instead, it would be more convenient, if there is a possibility to introduce city bus services like in the capital,” Khandu Dorji, the Athang Gup, said.

At present, the hospital’s outpatient department (OPD) sees almost 300 patients daily.

Meanwhile, some DT members say a suspension bridge over Punatsangchhu is required as an alternate route so that it will be shorter for the people to walk to the hospital.

While DT decides to request the Bhutan Post to look into possibilities for bus operation, the dzongkhag administration will also encourage the private transport operators to come up with the proposal for the bus service.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube