High priced gingers affected with rotting disease, Samdrup Jongkhar

Ginger prices reached an all-time high in Samdrup Jongkhar but farmers are now concerned with their gingers rotting in the field due to some disease.  According to farmers, more than five acres of the ginger field is affected.

“The affected leaves of the ginger turn yellow and looking in the field almost all leaves have turned yellow. We can see worms infecting the gingers when we uproot the variegated plants,” said Rinzin, a farmer from Rikhey chiwog in Dewathang Gewog, Samdrup Jongkhar.

She said she spent more than Nu 100,000 to cultivate about 1000 kilograms of ginger in two acres of land. All the expenses of her children are met from selling gingers and this time she says fifty per cent of ginger is already rotted before harvesting time. Ginger is harvested around November month.

“All the gingers are spoiled, I have to spend huge expenditure for my children, one of my children studies in India and another one is in Taktse. So I have to work for them, and ginger is only the source of income for us,” she added.

Rinzin is not alone, many farmers in Dewathang gewog say the rotting disease has affected their gingers.

“This year villagers have cultivated more gingers compared to before since it fetched good prices, but now all the gingers are spoiled, we don’t know why it is rotting and we can see worms also,” said Lobzang Dendup. a farmer from Domphu chiwog in Dewathang Gewog.

“Gingers are all rotting. I have spent Nu 45000 and cultivated ginger but all the gingers are spoiled now. All the leaves turn yellow and then the rhizome rots with worms in it. Ginger is only a source of income for me,” added Nima, a Farmer from Rikhey chiwog.

However, none of the villagers have reported to agriculture officers thinking that rotting disease may not spread to unaffected gingers.  According to villagers ginger started to rot from two to three weeks back.

Meanwhile, Dewathang Gewog agriculture officer is aware of it and says they will carry out field inspection to know the causes of it and carry out necessary action to stop it from spreading further.

Currently, Indian vendors in Samdrup Jongkhar give Nu 70 to 80 for one kilogram of ginger. Last year one kilogram of ginger fetched ngultrum 20 to 25 at this time of the year.

With the gingers fetching high price this June, farmers have increased the scale of ginger farming in the hope to earn a good income. Farmers in Dewathang cultivate ginger twice a year. The first harvest starts from April till June and the second harvest from mid-November till January.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube