Mipham Yoezer Gurung sets a new National record in high jump

With a jump of 1.88 meters, Mipham Yoezer Gurung from Punakha set up a new national men’s high jump record in the first-ever Bhutan Amateur Athletic Federation (BAAF) National Athletics Championship held in the capital today. Over 140 students and civilians from 9 districts took part in the competition this time.

After setting up a new national high jump record of 1.84 meters in one of the recent open athletics championships in Thimphu, Mipham Yoezer Gurung participated in this event with the main motive to break his own record.

Making it through to the finals of the event, Mipham left all of his other athletes behind as he jumped all heights with ease. After confirming his gold medal in the high jump event, Mipham then attempted to break his own record.

He broke his own record and successfully set up a new national record of 1.88 meters in the Men’s high jump event.

“A few months back I managed to set up a National high jump record of 1.84 meters in one of the open athletics championship in Thimphu. Since then I have not trained much since I was more engaged in the preparation for the 200 meters dash. However, breaking my own record and setting up a new one makes me feel happy,” said Mipham Yoezer Gurung, a 2nd-year student at Royal Thimphu College.

The National Athletics Championship also included other events such as short-distance running, long-distance running, high jumps, shot put and Javelin for both men and women.

The BAAF conducted the event as a pilot project to make athletics accessible to all, build true sportsmanship spirit and to select potential athletes who can represent Bhutan in international events.

However, with the signing of MOU between the Dzongkhag Sports Associations and the BAAF in September, the event is then expected to become an annual event henceforth. Passang Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube