Tsirang serious on plastic ban

Reinforcement of plastic ban by the National Environment Commission since April this year strengthened Tsirang Dzongkhag’s strict ban on plastics that was in practice since last year.

To commemorate the birth anniversary of the Fourth Druk Gyalpo last year, the dzongkhag initiated plastic ban by bringing utensils from home on major events, and sensitized people on the ban of plastic and encouraged people to use their own doma purses/kechus, and even tried to use banana leaves to substitute the plastic wrappers.

Today the use of plastic was nominally down in the district while the officials so far had not come across any defaulters that needed to be penalized. Nearly 99% of the offerings in the ongoing Moenlam Chhenmo in Tsirang are home made and fruits that are available in the locality. People were encouraged to do so to keep the use of plastic or packaged foods at bay.

“After the reinforcement circular arrived, we conducted several rounds of awareness to the public especially in the vegetable market where plastic is used widely. I can say that over 95% of us do not use plastic now. The consumers wont ask for plastic while the vendors don’t keep plastic for sale. In Tsirang we are not even going back to using plastics to wrap doma. So we are doing well in terms of plastic ban,” Dorji Wangdi, the Dzongkhag Environment Officer of Tsirang, said.

Meanwhile the few plastics that are visible in town are either being reused and only those transparent are used to maintain freshness and hygiene.

“In such grand Moenlam Chhenmo, where His Holiness is presiding the prayer ceremony, we also want to make some offerings in kind such as vegetable and fruits. Today also I brought some cheese, beans and other vegetables. I had to pack it in plastic to maintain hygiene and retain its freshness. But I make sure I take my plastic and reuse it. I have a cloth to wrap the plastic bags inside,” Dorji, from Shemjhong, added.

“We prepared the offerings with hygiene and to maintain it, plastic is must. We have disposable bags also but to wrap the offerings plastic is more convenient thus we use it for that cause,” said Tshewang Dema, Damphu, Tsirang.

“I brought this plastic from my home; I use to carry my scarf (kabney). I didn’t buy this plastic and its not that I am using it only today. I had this plastic with me for a long time,” N B Gurung, from Tsholingkhar, Tsirang, said.

The officials stressed that adequate general public awareness on the ban could enhance the implementation and added that every dzongkhags should synchronize with the ban to fight the use of plastic.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube