Windstorm damages properties and crops

Heavy windstorm damaged properties, crops and fruit saplings in Monggar on April 20. This is the second such incident reported in the dzongkhag this year.

The windstorm, which lasted for almost 30 minutes, has blown off the roofs and partially damaged 25 houses in Kengkhar, Jurmed and Dramedtse.

The windstorm has also damaged more than three-acre of maize at Thridangbi in Saling Gewog.

30-year-old Yeshi Wangchuk is of one of the affected farmers in Saling. He said he had lost fruit saplings worth Nu 200,000 to the windstorm.

“I have been expecting to earn some income from my orchard. But this year I am worried since my entire orchard has been damaged by the windstorm.”

He added that if the government provide them with some compensation it will encourage them with farming activities.

Meanwhile, the Gewog officials and  Agriculture Extension Supervisors are visiting the affected areas to assess the extent of the damage.

Similarly, in Zhemgang, a windstorm on Saturday blew off roofs of seven houses in Bardo Gewog in Zhemgang. The affected households are in Langdhorbi and Khomshar villages.

The local authorities have reported the incident to the dzongkhag for immediate help.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube