Bumthang’s first edition of Bum-Kora mountain bike race

Twenty-six bikers including two women took part in the first ever Bum-kora Mountain Bike Race in Bumthang yesterday. The race was organised by the Bumthang Sports Association.

The 53-kilometre race started from Chamkhar till Mebartsho and loops around Tangsibi village finishes at Chamkhar through Kekila pass, touching all four gewogs of Bumthang.

Singye Dorji came first completing the race at two hours and 20 minutes.

“I think I won the race, as there were no participants from other places. To have 26 participants in the very first edition of the race is a very good sign. I feel there will be lots of cyclists participating in the race if Bumthang Sports Association continue organising such events.”

Besides promoting a healthy lifestyle through cycling and advocating on Non-communicable diseases, the event was also organised to promote tourism in the district.

“Bicycling is growing its popularity in terms of sports, so we encourage people to ride bicycles so that we can also bring in tourists where they can ride at this level of altitude. Bumthang lies at an altitude of 3,400 meters above sea level, so riding bicycles or any kind of sporting activities in this kind of altitude is considered as a challenge,” Jurmey Thinley, the General Secretary of Bumthang Sports Association, said.

The event was one of the first activities conducted by the Bumthang Sports Association since the association’s committee adopted a new charter last August. The association conducted an open track and field event last week. Likewise, there are many sporting activities in the pipeline.

“We also have activities lined up such as a 21-kilometre marathon, a 100-kilometre mountain bike race starting from Chamkhar through Ura and back to Chamkhar. We will also have a lap system mountain bike race. We hope through such initiatives and activities, there will be a drastic reduction in Non-Communicable diseases,” Bumthang Dzongda Pasang Dorji said.

The race will be conducted as an open national competition from next year. The association will also organise a similar open national mountain bike race, especially for women.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube