First Bhutan Sports Festival held in Gangteng and Phobji

The first Bhutan Sports Festival held in Gangteng and Phobji Villages of Wangdue Phodrang on April 6 saw over 100 participants. The festival was aimed to provide the participants’ engagement in Bhutan’s rich environment and cultural wealth and, promoting running and cycling as a healthy way of life.

It was organised by Bhutan Philanthropy Ventures, a social enterprise founded by His Royal Highness Prince Jigyel Ugyen Wangchuck in 2015.

The participants included both nationals and foreigners from America, Australia, Singapore and Japan.

The events comprised of open 25 and 50-kilometre trail race for both men and women.

After crossing the valleys of Gangteng and Phobji, Goma Pradhan, a nursing student of Royal Thimphu College (RTC) stood first in the 25-kilometre trail race. She even overtook the men’s winner of the category.

“I am an athlete with the Bhutan Amateur Athletics Federation since I am a regular runner, I was confident of winning the race. More than winning the event, my aim was to set a record.”

In men’s 25-kilometre, Singye Dorji, an employee with the Royal Audit Authority (RAA) came first after over two minutes of Goma’s arrival.

I did not expect to come first since some of them are participating for over 20 times now. I did not participate even once in such an event. On the other hand, I had little hope since I go for jogging every day,” Singye Dorji said.

In the mountain bike race, Sherub Gyaltshen from Royal Bhutan Army (RBA) bagged the first position for the 25-kilometre category.

“Due to high altitude, I faced problems in breathing. Moreover, I was suffering from cold but I am surprised I came  first.”

Similarly, Tshering Dendup, who is also a soldier with the RBA was the winner of the 50-kilometre mountain bike race.

“I did not get much time for preparation but I am happy that I came first.”

Dilip Rai and Pema Zam came in first for the 50-kilometre trail race for men and women categories respectively.

Meanwhile, some participants said, lack of proper route signals in some junctions caused inconveniences. One of the cyclists was disqualified for the awards for taking a short-cut.

“I am not happy with the decision because the route directors, who were mostly students, directed me the route. In future, it would be more convenient if elder people are kept at the junctions so they can guide us well,” Nima Gyaltshen said.

With the maiden edition done, the sports festival will be organized on the first Saturday of April every year. The running and cycling trails, which have been developed for the event, is also expected to help promote tourism in the already famed tourism hotspot valley.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube