Three-day restorative surgical camp ends in Punakha

Twenty-three people underwent surgery to treat cleft lip and palate at the 6th Tarayana Foundation Restorative Surgical Camp in Punakha hospital.

Her Majesty the Queen Mother Dorji Wangmo Wangchuck visited the camp yesterday.

Her Majesty the Queen Mother met with the team and congratulated them for the successful surgeries and expressed her gratitude. Her Majesty also interacted with the patients and their family members.

The surgical camp began on Monday with a screening of 35 individuals for the surgery. Some of the patients who had undergone surgery before had also come for their follow-ups.

Out of 23 surgeries, 17 patients were below the age of 10. The youngest patient was three months old.

“We are thankful and happy with the team of doctors from abroad who came for the surgery. We are hopeful that things will get better after the operation,” Kezang one of the patient’s father, said.

I did the operation earlier but I was not able to speak clearly. I had a problem talking with friends in school. I am hopeful that this operation will improve my condition and help to study well,” a patient said.

A team of 27 members from within the country and from Smile Asia conducted the surgical camp.

“Cleft cannot be prevented as far as we know and cleft cannot be cured but it can be treated. It can be reconstructed and most importantly it can be rehabilitated. Even after surgery, the patients need other forms of therapy such as speech therapy and dental works to ensure they have the full effect of their surgical repairing,” Dr Vincent Yeow from Smile Asia said.

The patients were also provided with free transportation and accommodation facilities. The camp ended today after the review of the patients. So far more than 1000 patients received treatment.

The Tarayana Foundation with the Ministry of Health has been conducting similar camps in the country since 2007.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube