More youth embrace, parents worry

[media id=87 width=320 height=260]

Technology is fast changing and it is changing the way people live. More and more Bhutanese youth, especially living in urban towns, are embracing the technology like never before. Smart phones, tablets, Play Stations and computers, it’s all here.

Srijan Sharma, 23, is an IT professional. He is fond of all sorts of gadgets. He has been using since his childhood days. “Gadgets that I use in day to day life are mobile phones, laptops and desktops, iPod, TV and digital cameras among others,” he says adding that he cannot imagine living without those gadgets.

He says with technology, communication has been easier and cheaper now.

Dotub Tashi is another gadget lover. He uses professional camera almost every day. “I do use mobile phones, laptops, computers and mostly professional cameras, I am not a professional photographer but it is my hobby, so I use it often.”

Like them, there are so many who are fond of various gadgets. They say that their problem in the country is the lack of facilities available in Bhutan.

“We cannot avail ourselves all the facilities associated with the gadgets here in Bhutan. In Thimphu, at least, we can get much more facilities than in other Dzongkhags,” says Srijan Sharma.

With the facility to use internet in most of the gadgets today, social networking sites like facebook, twitter, YouTube, and yahoo messenger among others have become popular among the gadget users. Those who cannot own one, frequent the internet cafés and video game parlours

In one of the many places youth are seen rushing, especially during weekends and after school.

Most commonly played games among the youth is the FIFA football tournament.

“I usually come after school; I play two games a day and ten games in a week. During weekends I play more. I usually play football games,” says Sangay Norbu, a student.

While most youth are glued to the screens, some of parents are worried that it might have negative impact on their children.

Ap Dorji is one of them. He has two children. He says that it is sometimes worrying as children are getting addicted to the games available on gadgets. “It is a big problem; firstly kids have to know how to use the gadgets wisely. But most of our children are completely addicted to these things. Being a parent we cannot refuse our kids of such things because their friends are having it and they want it too. I think mobile phones are the worst enemy for our children. It disturbs them where ever they are, friends call them disturb them from studying especially for students,” says Ap Dorji.

Another parent, Sonam, says that there are both good and bad products in the market, but ‘most of our children go for bad products and ruin themselves’. “They pick up bad habits from these products.”

Life has become easier with the coming of different gadgets in the market. It makes tasks much easier; helps in fast and easy communication with friends and relatives and many more.

But, the question is, are all the youth using it wisely?

Top Stories

Related Stories

3 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube