Western, northern & central parts of country receive first snowfall

Unlike usual wintry mornings,  residents of western, northern and central Bhutan woke up to a blanket of snow this morning.

To mark the first snowfall, the home ministry declared a holiday in those dzongkhags that experienced snowfall.

The snowfall in the capital started at around 3:30 AM. According to the National Centre for Hydrology and Meteorology (NCHM), snowfall and rainfall occur due to the moisture incursion from the Bay of Bengal.

The NCHM says Gasa received thickest snowfall of 12.9 cm while Paro and Thimphu received the lightest snow of 1.27 cm and 1.5 cm respectively. The NCHM says the weather is likely improve from tomorrow.

In Thimphu, as soon as the snow touched the ground, people came out in open spaces to play with snowballs. The pure joy masked the bite of the cold weather.

Some of the people told BBS News that snowfall in Thimphu has become irregular in recent years. So they want to enjoy every bit of this rare experience.

“I waited for snowfall and finally its here. I am so excited. Despite chills, playing in snow gives me immense pleasure,” said Jigme Thinley.

Another by the name Karma Wangchuk said: “I think snowfall is a good sign in Bhutanese context. Receiving snowfall at this time of the year signifies bountiful harvest and good health of the people. Moreover, I consider today’s snowfall as extremely auspicious because just yesterday, His Majesty  awarded the Order of the Druk Gyalpo, Nga Dha Pal Gyi Khorlo to His Holiness the Je Khenpo.”

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube