Students in Bumthang attend coaching on traditional music

Twenty-seven students from various schools in Bumthang attended a 10-day coaching on traditional Bhutanese musical instruments at Tang Central School recently.  

The students were taught the basic music notations, several traditional Bhutanese songs like Boedras and Bhutan’s National Song. They presented the skills they have acquired over the last 10 days at the closing event on Monday.

“I had interest in learning traditional music even before this coaching but I didn’t get an opportunity like this. With the help of our music instructor, we were able to learn notations and traditional songs as well,” Tshering Jamtsho, one of the participants, said.

“I didn’t have any idea that there are so many genres of music and that the musical instruments need to be played in accordance with notations. After attending the coaching, I have learnt all these, ” Tshering Choden, another participant, said.

At the closing event, the Bumthang Dzongda offered the participants a chance to play the music for Jakar Tshechu’s cultural programmes next year if they can perform exceptionally well.

“I think we can perform at the Tshechu next year if we get some more coaching classes. Once we get used to the musical notations, playing music is very easy,” Tshering Jamtsho said.

The coaching was conducted by the Dzongkhag Education Sector to familiarize the students with the essence and skills of traditional Bhutanese music.

“Our general perception is that the youth are not much interested in taking part in Zhungdra and Boedra dances in the schools. So we thought if we provide them with some skills in playing traditional music, they ultimately draw the interest of students in taking part in our traditional songs and dances, Kinley, the Chief Dzongkhag Education Officer, said.

“Youths today don’t understand the essence and values of traditional music. They are also not aware of the fundamentals of music such as codes and notations and the origins of our traditional Bhutanese music. I think a lot needs to be done to make our younger generation take interest in traditional music,” Sangay Tala, the Music Instructor, said.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube