Women in politics still negligible

The Bhutanese women are closing the gender gap in other areas but when it comes to politics it still persists. At present, there are 11 women Member of Parliament (MPs) against 61 men MPs, an increase from six women MPs from the second parliament.

In the local government, there are only 174 women representatives against 1,319 men. Although the number of women representatives in politics is increasing, it is still negligible.

This was pointed out at the third national conference on women in politics, leadership and governance held in Thimphu.

At the conference, the women politicians shared their challenges and experiences.

“I was asked personal questions a couple of times during my campaigning. The question was not really on the manifesto or the political agenda. I remember calling some of my male colleagues. I asked them whether they are also asked similar personal questions like who is looking after their children? But they said they have never been asked such questions,” Dechen Wangmo, the Health Minister, said.

“I was criticised by the women saying despite the defeat in the past elections, I am participating again. I felt that women do not support us.” Tshewang Lhamo, the MP of Bongo_Chapchha, said.

In 2011, when I contested for the post of Mangmi, people said it is a man’s job. People questions women’s capability,” Tseten Zangmo, the former Mangmi of Dogar Gewog in Paro, said.

More than 100 participants including MPs, civil servants, CSOs, political parties attended the two-day conference. It was organised by the National Commission for Women and Children( NCWC) and Bhutan Network for Empowering Women (BNEW).

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube