Concerns over unlicensed rafting operators in Punakha

It is the peak tourist season and the rafting companies in Punakha are busy. But not all the rafting companies are licensed. There are only two licensed operators.

The rest are illegal and the licensed operators want authorities to do something about the illegal businesses.

White-water River Rafting in Punakha is a booming business. The business slowed down a bit after a man from India lost his life last month in a rafting accident. The incident raised concerns over safety.

The licensed operators say they follow the new rule set by the Tourism Council of Bhutan (TCB). But the unlicensed operators lack safety norms, which they say not only puts lives at risk but also hurts the dzongkhag’s reputation as the top rafting destination in the country.

They claim even after the tragedy, no action was taken by the concerned agency and illegal operators are running their businesses as usual.

“Everyone is aware that there are only two licensed rafting operators. I don’t understand how they operate without a license. We have informed the TCB but nothing has been done so far,” Kelzang Lhendup, the Manager of the Lotus Adventure, said.

“Our main concern is the rate they offer,” Tashi Tobgay, the Manager of the Druk Rafting Service, said.

“The license holder pay tax to the government but unlicensed operators don’t. So, they charge very less compared to us, which affects our business.”

For the people, rafting is a  popular vacation activity.

“I really enjoyed rafting and I’ll bring my family to experience it,” Druk Jojo, one of the clients, said.

“In the past, I heard people say the operators lack safety but after a meeting with TCB, it’s safe now. They provided us with safety gears,” Khandu Tobgay, another client, said.

“There are three river guides in our raft and one safety kayak in case something happens.”

The rafting business also provides employment for the youth.

24-year-old Passang Tamang joined as a white-water rafting guide with Druk Rafting Services after his graduation.  He earns Nu 7,000 a month.

Everyone prefers a white-collared job but that should not be our mentality because all jobs are equal. All I can say is rafting provided me with a job and in the future, I am sure it will be able to employ more youths.”

The two licensed white-water rafting operators employ more than 20 youths. They were trained by TCB and the rafting operators with experts from abroad.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube