Why engineers resign?

At the time when so many development works are taking place in the country, a lot of engineers, civil and architect, are resigning from civil service. About 35 engineers resigned in the last one year from the Department of Road alone. Few more are contemplating resigning.

What could be the reasons?

Often money is cited as the main reason. But not always. Many engineers, who would not want to come on camera, cited job dissatisfaction as the main reasons. Some have other reasons.

Ugyen Dorji, a senior architect, having served for 18 years resigned in 2009. Before resigning he served as the officiating Thrimpon for two years. He said he was selected to a higher post, through open selection process. “I was called by the RCSC and told me that I was selected and asked for the audit and police clearance. In the meantime, I had to go abroad for about three-week and when I was back; all my things were tied up and kept behind the door and there were somebody who never sat for the interview,” he remembers. The post had already filled up.

After that he was transferred to the Ministry, where he stayed for one year without any work. When he asked for work, he was told he was too qualified for their need.

Some have different reasons. Druba Raj is also an architect who resigned from the civil service so that he can put to practice his skills and creativity. “I left civil service because there is so much works in the private sectors, not only in the private sectors, even in the government plans and manifestos. It is full of infrastructure projects, which requires engineers and architects and my main reason was to take part in these big projects.”

Our reporter Kuenga Tashi said that many of them would not want to be quoted or come on camera. However, they did say that they never got to apply their creativity and skills in the civil service.

“We land up doing a lot of administrative work,” said one. Another said even if they can apply their creativity and skills, it gets modified by their bosses who are not professionals.

One engineer cited lack of training as another reason. He said in his nine years of service he got to travel only once, which he said was very ‘de-motivating’.

The Secretary of the Ministry,Dasho Dr. Sonam Tenzin, who is currently on a tour to the east disagreed with the allegations and said they are allowed to work professionally. He, however, agreed that the engineers and architects have to face lot of hardships in the civil service.

“The hardships they have to face, the occupational hazards that they have to face is tremendous, secondly I think, the engineering works are always associated with accounting, they have to be accountable, and many of the engineers did not get audit clearance for their promotions and because of this their promotions have been held up,” the Secretary reasoned out.

However, Dasho added that they are working towards retaining the engineers and experts by giving incentives.

Top Stories

Related Stories

5 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube