Damchu-Chhukha bypass inaugurated

After missing several deadlines, the Damchu-Chhukha bypass is finally complete and open to traffic. Prime Minister Dasho Tshering Tobgay inaugurated the 29.19- kilometre road in Damchu today.

The bypass will shorten the distance between Thimphu and Phuentshogling by over 19 kilometres and cut down travel time by an hour.

“This newly elongated stretch will save both time and money,” the prime minister said.

“A truck would save eight liters of diesel for every trip. Every light vehicle would save 2.5 litres of fuel and that comes to about Nu 200 every time a journey is made to Thimphu or Phuentshogling.”

People residing along the road hope the highway would spur business opportunities for them.

“We can take up commercial farming as we now have an easy access to road,” Ugyen Tshering said.

“We are building a house just next to the highway. I hope the road will present opportunities for us to venture into various businesses,” Shekhar Choden said.

Others are just happy to be living near a highway. They think their children’s future is set already.

“The road is built nicely. Earlier, we had to drive up till Chapcha to go to Phuentshogling or Thimphu and the roads were narrow and dangerous to use,” Thinley said.

“Initially, I was not happy to give my land for the road construction, but now I am happy. I am sure the road will help my children build their future,” Ugyen Dema said.

The construction of the bypass, which cost more than Nu 2.8bn, started in March 2010.

Project DANTAK says cutting through the cliffs near Chhukha posed numerous challenges, which led to delays.

The delay in awarding of the works to construct the bridges along the route is cited as another factor that impeded the work progress.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube